18th annual Free Press All-State Girls Hockey Team
HOW THE TEAMS WERE SELECTED
For the 18th consecutive year, the Burlington Free Press sports activities team of workers wore out the telephone lines and filled up e mailboxes to find the quality excessive college ladies hockey gamers Vermont has to offer.
As usually, trimming the listing down to first and 2nd groups, plus a forged of honourable mentions, is in no way easy. And are you making this year’s squad even harder to crack? Eight players who made either first or 2d team last 12 months were once more in line for similar honours here.
But on the give up of the day, it remains a personal manner and one we undertake with terrific satisfaction and care.
• The player: A three-recreation superstar who’s headed to Providence College to keep her area hockey career, McNamara used her tireless work ethic and skill to tally 24 goals and ten assists, a tidy observe-as much as final yr’s 29-goal, 8-assist junior campaign. Earning BFP second-crew honours last iciness, McNamara, with a knack for rebound dreams, movements to the first line after assisting Rice to the 3-seed and a niche in Division I semifinals.
• Coach Aaron Miller on McNamara: “When your satisfactory player is your hardest employee, it makes it pretty smooth. Without her, we are probably a D-II crew. That’s how plenty she manner to our crew.”
• The player: Bettering her point totals in each of the seasons following her freshman year, Miller-Johnson lands on the BFP first group for the 3rd time and earns the Free Press’ Miss Hockey identify in main the Hornets to the D-I championship. Smart and particular-oriented in her practise, Miller-Johnson racked up 21 dreams and 25 assists this winter, finishing with 124 factors for her profession.
• Coach John Maddalena on Miller-Johnson: “She has a cannon for a shot. You can’t deliver her an inch, and if it doesn’t move in or pass over the net, there’s going to be a terrific rebound. That separates her from the maximum of the gifted gamers in Division I.”
• The player: Matching smarts with an unrelenting pursuit of the %, Young was one-0.33 of a devastating institution of first-line forwards who sparked Essex to the D-I championship and a software-file 106 desires. Young, a 2nd-crew BFP choice closing wintry weather, struck for a profession-excessive 17 dreams to go together with 17 assists, at the same time as cracking the profession a hundred-point barrier. Young additionally had 0 penalty minutes this season, and simply six usual in a four-12 months profession.
• Coach John Maddalena on Young: “She’s just tenacious, a fierce competitor who by no means gives up on the play. We run a -person forecheck and she or he’s the primary individual at the p.C., wants to pressure the turnover.”