Individual golfers earn journeys to nation event
Helens finished 5th and St. Helens 6th within the Special District 1 regional match Monday and Tuesday at Indian Creek Golf Course in Hood River — neither team incomes a journey to the Oregon School Activities Association Class 5A tournament.
But two golfers from St Helens and one from Scappoose will play inside the kingdom tourney, Wilsonville and Ridgeview.
Scappoose junior Chase Elliott already had secured his country berth through main all-Northwest Oregon Conference golfers at the April 30 district tournament.
From St. Helens, Tyler Tolleshaug and Kalvin Budge performed properly enough within the local to qualify for the kingdom as well, as individuals not on an advancing team. Tolleshaug had a -day score of 198, and Budge shot 199, precise for 14th and fifteenth at Hood River.
Elliott had a tough days, particularly on his opening nine of the 36-hole event. He was 12-over-par after 8 holes. He rallied, gambling his very last 10 holes in five-over on Monday, then shooting an 8-over 80 on Tuesday. His 167 total turned into 1/3, 8 behind first-area Tyler Vassar of The Dalles.
“Tough couple of days for our guys. We simply struggled on the toughest path we have played all yr,” Scappoose train Ryan Svenson stated. “We dug ourselves a hollow on Monday and could by no means get out of it. The wind and the speed and slope of the vegetables honestly gave us problem.”
But, he added, “it became a notable learning enjoy for our men, in particular Cooper, Caleb and DJ, who’re all exceptionally new to competitive golfing. They all work difficult on their video games, so hopefully the revel in will serve them nicely within the destiny.
“We only lose Jaden from this yr’s institution, and the returners appear to revel in gambling and working on their games, so I anticipate to have a remarkable group returned next yr.”
St. Helens positioned fifth inside the Special District 1 tournament Monday and Tuesday at Meadow Lakes Golf Course in Prineville, however Alexus Burgoyne of the Lions earned a trip to nation.
Ridgeview was first with a 36-hollow score of 795 to say the crew berth to the OSAA 5A event, becoming a member of conference champions Pendleton and Wilsonville as qualifiers. St. Helens shot 875.
Burgoyne became third personally at Meadow Lakes amongst golfers no longer on a qualifying crew. She had rounds of one hundred-89 for a 189 overall. The fourth and final man or woman spot went to Samantha Stansbury of The Dalles at 191.
Next on the scoreboard changed into St. Helens’ Emme Paullus, who shot ninety three-one hundred and one for a 194 general. She tore up the opening nine of the match, shooting 38.
• For Scappoose, which did not have a complete team, Callie Enos led the way, taking pictures 234.To tie for 27th. Molly Hagen of Scappoose became thirtieth at 247. Kylee Nutt placed 36th at 253.
Scappoose instruct Joe Girres stated it become a worthwhile spring for his institution. One of the highlights changed into when the Indians completed the normal season with a 3rd-location finish in a NWOC match at Charbonneau — fielding a complete varsity crew to help complement the play of Enos. Enos got here via with a robust rating of 52 inside the modified Stableford system, putting 1/3, but Girres stated he changed into additionally highly inspired by the play of his rookies, who had been led by means of Hope Grogg’s 27 factors.
Nutt, Hagen and Dlan Dietz helped round out the squad for the Charbonneau in shape.
“The women have come thus far in such a quick time frame,” Girres stated. “Their fulfillment is an immediate end result of installing the time, being coachable, and willpower.
“This has been an extraordinary season of increase for our whole software. I’m very pleased to have had a first-rate ending to our normal season.”
Enos wound up 2nd within the league’s normal-season standings.
“She had a splendid yr of consistency at the numerous golf courses we played this season,” Girres said. “She is a fantastic leader for our crew and someone who leads by means of example.”
PREP BOYS TENNIS
The St. Helens doubles group of Jakob Nelson and Tanner Waid won within the first spherical of the Northwest Oregon Conference district meet this week at Parkrose High. They beat a team from the host faculty 1-6, 6-2, 6-2, before falling inside the 2nd round.
The other Lions victories inside the match came in doubles as well. Gianni de Cristofaro and Pablo Gomez-Aparici Vega teamed for a 6-4, 6-four opening win over a duo from Putnam and later received a consolation healthy over a Parkrose squad, eight-three.
PREP GIRLS TENNIS
St. Helens senior Olea Opdahl gained two times in consolation singles at the NWOC district tournament this week at Parkrose.
After falling to top-seeded and eventual champion Ashley Smith of La Salle Prep, Opdahl downed fighters from Parkrose and Milwaukie, each 8-1, as she reached the consolation semifinals.
Drew Erickson of St. Helens won one singles conso match, 8-three over a Milwaukie participant.
In doubles, the St. Helens group of Maggie Wheeldon and Gurki Kaur opened with a pigs-tail round, 6-4, 6-4 victory and later gained their first consolation healthy, nine-7.
Two other Lions doubles teams — Amanda Taylor and Sofia Strandjord, and Erin Sullivan and Annabelle Robitz — also gained as soon as in consolation.
St. Helens and Scappoose are on the outdoor searching in at the Class 5A playoffs. They’re 5th and sixth, respectively, inside the Northwest Oregon Conference as the regular season heads into its final week. The pinnacle four groups automatically get into the postseason.
St. Helens plays at La Salle Prep at five p.M. Friday, then finishes with three video games against Hillsboro. Only one of those may be at home — 5 p.M. Wednesday, May 15.
Scappoose has three video games subsequent week with Wilsonville — with the Indians at home most effective on Wednesday, as well, at five p.M.
• Last Friday, St. Helens were given hitting in the course of the lineup in addition to a six-hit entire sport from pitcher Kaleb Edwards as it beat traveling Milwaukie 7-4. Eight Lions had one hit, and Justin Olson went 2 for 4. Jared Horn and Drew Sullivan every had a double. They additionally had an RBI, as did Garrett Harris, Jacobi Allen and Cody McKay. Edwards struck out seven and did not stroll a batter.
The Lions dropped video games to La Salle Prep three-0 and 8-four on Tuesday and Wednesday.
• Scappoose lost its NWOC sport closing Friday at home against Hillsboro, 7-1. But the Indians scored inside the first inning and had a 1-zero lead until the sixth. Hillsboro got two runs in the top of the sixth and five in the seventh, taking gain of a couple of Indian errors as well as a stroll and wild pitch. Scappoose had six hits, one each by means of six gamers, with Jordan Buchanan getting a triple. The Indians additionally drew seven walks while striking out handiest five instances. And the pitching of Logan Travis saved Scappoose in the game maximum of the way. He struck out 9 batters in scattering seven hits over 6.2 innings.
Scappoose additionally fell 9-eight at Milwaukie on Tuesday and then gained a 17-16 wild one at home against the Mustangs on Wednesday.
The Oregon Ducks dropped of three games at Utah and have been eliminated from NCAA playoff rivalry. Hannah Galey, freshman from Scappoose High, played middle area and went 1 for 7, taking walks twice and scoring runs. Oregon (22-27, 5-sixteen Pac-12) will close its season with three home video games this week in opposition to Arizona State.
• Idaho State senior Mariah Mulcahy, from St. Helens High, picked up a entire-sport, Senior Day victory, 6-four, at the mound in opposition to Sacramento State. ISU started play within the Big Sky Conference match on Wednesday.
• Freshman Hadley Enos helped Mt. Hood Community College move 4-zero last week and improve to 30-five average and 24-0 atop the South Division of the Northwest Athletic Conference.
In two wins at Clark CC, Enos played first base and was 5 for 7 with five RBIs, one walk and one run scored.
• Yavapai College freshman Gabie Krueger turned into 2 for three and scored two times in an 8-6 road loss to Chandler-Gilbert CC to close the regular season. Yavapai is forty six-12 overall, went 37-eleven in the Arizona Community College Athletic Conference and now heads into the May 10-11 National Junior College Athletic Association Region I Division I event.
The Michigan Wolverines have received the final 5 instances they have got used freshman pitcher Willie Weiss, a former Scappoose participant. They downed host Maryland 10-7 remaining week, with Weiss incomes his ninth store. To quit the sport, he tossed 1.1 hitless innings, with one walk and one strikeout.
COLLEGE TRACK AND FIELD
John Kavulich, a freshman on the University of Portland, recorded a PR of three:59.Eleven within the 1,500 meters ultimate week at the Portland Twilight at Lewis & Clark College.